Well, I did it!!! I dyed some fabric. I jumped in with both feet and learned a lot! Most of what I learned was what NOT to do.
I wasn’t sure what colors I was going to get, so I decided to do the 24 shades. I had all the containers marked by number and I started putting all the red dye in first. I went down the list and put the correct amount into each one. Except the last cup because I ran out of red dye. so it just got a few drops. Then I put in the yellow. No problem, except on cups 8 & 9 I think I mixed them up. Anyway, had lots of yellow left over so it went in to the last cup with the red drops. Then I went to blue and filled each one with the blue, putting the left over in the last cup. So I didn’t actually get color 24 which I believe now should have been a shade of purple. Anyway, after that I took and put in the fabric. Well, I didn’t do that right because some of the pieces came out looking like tye dyed. Here’s all the colors I got.
I didn’t think about the fact that I was doing the dyeing using directions for fat quarters and I was putting in half yard cuts. I think I should have used more dye. That would have helped, I’m sure. I did get some pretty fabric anyway.
Well, that’s it for now. I will file this experience as a learning one. Next time maybe the fabric will come out looking more like I want it to look. LOL!! although, I do like this. Maybe I should make a turning twenty or some other quilt that uses large squares. hhhhhmmmmm.
Oh well, have great day!