Sudoku quilt is finished

Yesterday I decided to put the mini sudoku wall hanging I made, on the machine and quilt it. I used a variegated thread on it and I’m thinking that was a mistake. I think it would have been better to have used a matching thread. But it’s too late now. Here’s how it came out. After quilting it, I discovered that I must have used all the blue fabric on the sashing and borders, so then I couldn’t decide what color to make the binding so………..I cut strips of different colors, sewed them together and made a colorful binding. I’ve never done a binding like that before. I pressed the seams open on each piece, since the strips were cut 1 1/4″ they ended up to be 3/4″ wide. I didn’t want to end up with a lot of bulk in the binding. I did find that one corner had a seam right where the fabric was folded but it laid down well enough to look all right. I cut the binding 2 1/2″ which I could have cut it smaller and not had the double thickness, but……as they say, hindsight is 20/20. I made more binding than I needed so I had a lot left over. The picture shows the full binding and above it, the binding after I pressed it in half and then the edge of the wall hanging with the binding attached.  I don’t think I’ll be doing that kind of binding on anything large, but it was fun to play around with on this little piece. Hopefully someone will buy it at the sale.

Well, I guess that’s it for now. Have a great day!


5 thoughts on “Sudoku quilt is finished

  1. Maureen Douwes

    I was thinking of doing a Sudoku quilt and browsing for ideas.I think you “Mini Sudoku” is delightful! It has inspired me to do one too.


  2. Debbie

    Learning is good, but remember there are no quilt police, all your efforts are delightful. My niece shared the Suduko quilt with me. Great news as I quilt and do Suduko. There are millions maybe billions of combination. OH and so much fabric, yeah.

    By the way, what size are the little squares? and finished size of the quilt? Thanks Deb


    1. alwaysquilts

      Debbie, I think I cut the squares 1 3/4″. I used 6″ squares of 9 different fabrics, I know I didn’t make the squares 2″ because not all the squares were cut exactly 6″. I don’t remember what the finished size was of the mini quilt. Probably around 16-18″.

      I numbered the fabrics and took a sudoku puzzle and layed the fabrics out by number in order to keep them straight. It was a fun mini quilt to make.


  3. Tambra

    I am making a sudoku quilt now. I originally cut the pieces 5×7 to use up fat quarters and sewed them together, but then saw one at a quilt store that was smaller with narrow sashings between each piece and then a different sashing between the 9 patches. I liked it better and cut my pieces in half to do that instead.

    I don’t recommend the sashings between each block. I’m having a hard time getting the lines of the inner sashings to line up well. In ripping out, re-ironing and cutting them in half, they got slightly out of shape which affected my sewing.

    It does look a lot better so far, but the unsewing, fixing, and resewing has gotten real frustrating. Perhaps if I had started it that way with “fresh” fabric, it would be easier now.

    I love the binding you put on yours. I may mine like yours.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s